Creating A WordPress Blog In 2015
Thinking about what to write next I thought Creating A Wordress Blog in 2015 would be a great subject to offer some insight into if I were creating a new Blog and applying the Best Blogging Strategy I know today.
Creating A WordPress Blog 2015
Selecting Your Domain Name & Hosting:
- Imagine first that you will have your new site or blog forever so choosing the right Domain Name is important. The best approach is to use your own name for the domain, much like the King Of All Blogs today “John Chow dot com”. Reason behind this is that you will want visitors, customers and peers alike to know you and your Brand. If you have a common name that is already taken then use a variation of your name like this – “followglennguillory.com” or “gtguillory.com”. Your Brand efforts will be associated with you and what you do.
- Hosting is basically where your Blog is located on the Internet and now there are too many to name but some of the more popular and customer friendly Hosting services are “Hostgator, BlueHost, and yes even GoDaddy”. You want your Blog to be self hosted and using any of these services accomplishes this. Blogs that aren’t classified as “self hosted” would be blogs that are usually free blog offers. You don’t want one of these Blogs (WordPress.com is one example but not to be confused with WordPress.org which is basically your operating system resource). Free platforms control what you can and can not do with your Blog and you want to do whatever you need with your own site.
- Installing WordPress onto your new site is the next step, take a look at this Tutorial from YouTube WordPress Installation Steps. You can also use outsource sites like Elance to get someone to do it for you for a fee. Note: Many Hosting Services now also install WordPress for you either included or for a small fee as part of their services (GoDaddy has this service). Now you’re ready to choose your Theme.
- Many great Themes are out there but at first it may be hard to pick one with so many choices out there. If you’re having trouble try the Genesis Theme, it’s mobile friendly and is very flexible for just about any marketers Blogging needs. The Genesis Theme is one of the most friendly Site Themes for both design people & beginners. This site uses the Genesis Theme. One other consideration is to also outsource installation and customization of your Theme. A bit of warning is to utilize a Company that has Customizing results in your niche. My niche is “Online Income”, “Internet Marketing” etc., this site was Customized for me by Social Media Stardom. They are the only service I recommend for my nice and they do a great job and have an equally great reputation.
That’s All Done, Now What To Do? WordPress Plugins:
Creating A WordPress Blog In 2015 – WordPress.org
No digging into all the other details that you will need such as Images, Logo’s, Menu etc. There are too many of them but all of those things will need your attention and if you’re just getting started you can get them done on your own (use YouTube as your resource, search “how to …”). What will be next after all of that will be to get some good WordPress Plugins installed. To install plugins, the easiest way is from your Site/Blog Dashboard click on Plugins and select “add new”. From there once you have loaded the plugin follow the instructions and activate it (find more about plugins on YouTube search). Here are some of what I personally use, this is not every plugin I use but they are the most important ones:
- WPMU DEV – It’s a dashboard plugin that allows you to review, easily install and update the best WordPress plugins in one place. It’s one of the best user friendly plugins I’ve ever used, period.
- Smush It – You can access the SmushIt plugin best directly through the WPMU DEV dashboard. SmushIt will compress your images in your media library to optimize for quicker loading of your site.
- Yoast SEO – One of the better SEO plugins that helps you with optimizing your Blog for SEO. It’s easy to use and has XML sitemaps which is a big time saver for new Bloggers.
- Squirrly SEO – This plugin usually will work fine with one other SEO plugin such as Yoast. The best thing about Squirrly is that it makes your totally lost SEO efforts easy to follow and complete for every post and page you write. Easy to follow Tabs turn green when you follow the steps and end up with a SEO ready post to publish. If you have little to absolutely no idea about SEO, Squirrly is the best plugin you can get (yes I use it, lol).
- Askimet – Is one of the best Spam protectors out there for Sites and Blogs, very much recommend you use it. Even sites with little to zero traffic will get Spam for different reasons and the Askimet plugin will sort them straight into the Spam folder so you can delete them without trying to sort manually.
- Pretty Link – I use the Pro Version of Pretty Link but the basic version is still a great start to use your own links for tracking and performance. Your links will be created from your Sites URL so it really comes in handy when you have affiliate links to promote and tracking how well your engagement is on Social Media.
- WP Super Cache – This is another plugin to help the speed of your site remain smooth (always keep all your plugin’s updated regularly). I won’t get into the technical side of it but this is something you need on your WordPress Blog or Site.
- Social Sharing, search and find the best one for you. Sometimes your Social Sharing Plugins can conflict with other installed Plugins so if this happens look around for another. The best optimized Blogs all have a Social Media Optimization to share content across the different Social Sites.
Apply The Best Blog Strategy For 2015:
The Best Blog Strategy is to create your Blog, optimize for Social Media and create great SEO content. You want to create at least 2 months worth of content and get your writing habits in place before promoting. This way you already have a wealth of great content to promote and build your audience with. Having great content ready to go, that people will want more of and ranks well in the search engines is key. That’s The Best Blog Strategy For 2015 that I wished I knew when I first started Blogging. One successful Blogger I follow from time to time says the best way to get better with your writing is to write (without fail) 200 words every day without fail. He credits this practice will helping him become a writer that cranks out an Ebook every week!
Join me again next week for more value, if you enjoyed the post or have questions just comment below this post or send me an email to: [email protected]
Until the next, your Friend Glenn
Creating A WordPress Blog In 2015 – glenntguillory.com